Online Pharmacy Policy Update
Beginning February 1, 2023, Staunton River Vet Clinic will no longer accept prescription requests from online pharmacies by phone, email, or fax (Chewy.com, 1-800-PetMeds, etc.). Clients who order through online pharmacies will need to pick up a written prescription for those medications to provide to the online pharmacy directly. The two exceptions to this policy will be the prescriptions we contact the compounding pharmacy for specific medication formulations for your pet or if it is ordered through our online pharmacy, Vets First Choice, where the product comes directly from our distributor.
We understand that there are many reasons that our clients may want to purchase medications from online retailers or outside pharmacies instead of directly from us. To assist you in making the most informed decision for your pet, we want to be very clear that we recommend that you purchase products only from a properly accredited and certified veterinary pharmacy. However, if you choose to purchase medications from another source, that is your choice.
What does this mean for you?
- This DOES NOT mean that you cannot get your pet’s medication from an outside pharmacy. We will issue you a handwritten prescription free of charge. This ensures two things. One that you can take your prescription and get it filled at any pharmacy that you feel is best for you and your pet. And two, that the information given on the prescription is accurate. This prescription can then be taken, emailed, faxed, or mailed to any pharmacy of your choosing. Each pharmacy has its own policies as to how they process written prescriptions. Make sure to check with the pharmacy you plan on using in advance, so there won’t be any lapse in medications if they require you to mail in the handwritten prescription.
Why are we doing this?
- As you are all aware, our office stays pretty busy. We are choosing to spend our time focusing on taking care of patients and clients instead of answering faxes, emails, and phone requests from outside pharmacies. Managing outside prescriptions is costly in terms of staff time and effort, and as a business, we do not recoup these costs. It takes a significant amount of time to review medical records, ensure proper documentation of the medication request, and call/fax in the prescription. Outside pharmacies send the exact same request multiple times per day. It is not uncommon for us to receive the same request three times in one 8-hour period. That means in just 24- 48 hours, our staff members have had to stop what they are doing to review, find, and make sure a single outside prescription request is in the process to be approved or denied six times or more. We could easily spend hours per day working on online prescriptions, which then means it is harder for us to get you in for an appointment because our doctors are busy working to approve or deny those. Having the receptionist deal with the paperwork and phone calls also cuts back on valuable time where they could be helping you and your pet.
Why will we only approve through our pharmacy?
- Our online store is an accredited and certified pharmacy and has continually held the Veterinary-Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites™ (Vet-VIPPS) seal, a rigorous accreditation program administered through the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy® (NABP®). This ensures our clients that they are buying safe medications from a licensed, regulated pharmacy in compliance with all applicable state and federal laws as well as national pharmacy standards. Because our online store is part of our clinic infrastructure, you will not need a written prescription if you order from our online store. If medications are not handled and stored properly, it can affect the efficacy of the product. When ordering from our pharmacy, we know that from the time the medication you order is manufactured all the way to when you are going to give it to your pet, it has been handled, stored, and packaged in compliance with manufacturer guidelines. The product you receive is guaranteed to be the name-brand medication in the proper dosage and packaging. Medications you purchase from our online store are guaranteed by the product’s manufacturer and, most importantly, by us, your pet’s Veterinarian. Also, when you order from our online store, you are able to benefit from the manufacturer guarantee and also vendor rebates when applicable.
We still require 24 to 48-hour notice to get your paper prescription ready, as it still requires the doctor to have time to research your pet’s history and type up the prescription. We hope that this will allow us more time to spend with our patients and their owners and less time going back and forth with pharmacies. Our team is always working hard to meet your and your pet’s needs efficiently, and while a prescription may seem like a simple task, that is not the case.
About Our Animal Clinic
At Staunton River Vet Clinic, we want to see your dog, cat and pot-belly pigs live full happy lives. We can accomplish this together through preventative care and early intervention. We promise quality care for your pet in a warm, welcoming, & fear-free environment.
Complete Veterinary Care in Moneta, VA
Are stressful vet visits keeping your pet from preventative care?
Bring your best friend to Staunton River Vet Clinic for high-quality care that is warm, welcoming, and free of anxiety and fear.
Staunton River Vet Clinic is excited to offer our partnership with Vets First Choice! Vets First Choice is our online pharmacy. You can get the same prescriptions, medications, and food from our clinic but at the convenience of your home. Orders can be shipped directly to you!
Meet Our Veterinary Team
The veterinary team at Staunton River Vet Clinic is a group of professionals dedicated to your pet’s continuous health and welfare. Our team members are awesome, and we know you will think so too! Make your visit with your pet more comfortable by learning their names, faces, and stories.
We love our clients and patients!
We know you have a lot of options when it comes to choosing your veterinarian, and we thank you for making us one of the highest-rated veterinary hospitals in Moneta VA.
I have used the mobile service as well as the clinic. Both are very good. I always feel the whole team of Doctors and techs really care for your pets and their wellbeing. I have recommended them to my friends with animals. My dogs love the mobile team!
Download our app and connect with us on PetDesk!
Keeping up with your pet’s health from your mobile device has never been easier! With our new app, you’ll have all of your pet’s health information in the palm of your hand. Plus, you’ll be able to communicate with us much easier. You’ll be able to:
- Request Appointments 24/7
- Receive Automatic Reminders
- Save Notes, Pics, and Much More
- Your Pet’s Free Organizer App